Friday, December 15, 2006

Comfort Food

There is nothing like a hot meal on a chilly day. This will be perfect for this weekend with everyone going in different directions. I keep the spice mild so the girls can enjoy it, too.


Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 3 lb can kidney beans
2 1lb cans tomatoes, diced
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
green pepper & onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or ¼ t garlic powder
1 T sugar
chili powder- start with 1 t and increase as desired
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper

Brown ground beef and drain. Put in large pot or crock pot and add remaining ingredients. Cook for 1 ½ hour if on stove top, 4 hours on low in crock pot.

Next to Jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirits and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili . . . . Harry James, Trumpeter

8 comments:

Janet said...

This sounds so good and the best part is that it sounds easy. I may "borrow" your recipe. I love your pictures too.

brenda said...

Yes, you may use this recipe! It really is so easy and tastes very good. I will often add some sugar to the recipe to cut acidity. By the way, my weekend batch turned out great!

brenda said...

By the way, Janet- Great to see you! I am enjoying your blog. Love the picture of Greta!!

Janet said...

Greta is the one at the window and Gracie is the goof on her back. I made the chili today and it was perfect even though it isn't nearly cold enough (lol). I could use some Girl Scout cookies (thin mint) right now too with some milk. Where are you when I need you?

brenda said...

Ahh, GS cookie sales start next month! I can't wait! LOL Glad the chili turned out well for you. You are right, it isn't cold enough and I hate a warm Christmas. I would love to see a little bit of snow.
I didn't see the picture of Gracie, I will have to go look for it.

Gledwood said...

I'm taking down that recipe. It sounds gorgeous.

I found you quite by chance by the Blogger "next blog" button.

Come by my blog if you like. It's in a diary format ... quite different to yours ...

All the Best,
Take care,
from
Gledwood
(gledwood2.blogspot.com)

Gledwood said...

Am I to take it ground beef means minced beef - ie that has gone through that special machine?

ps I had a look at some of your friends' blogs through the links. you do all seem to be a practical bunch!!

brenda said...

Yes, ground like you would use to make hamburgers. Don't form it into burger, just cook it in a pan until it's crumbly. Glad you like the recipe!